What’s on the Halo Timeline?
This list attempts to create a reading order (or in some cases viewing/playing order) for all major pieces of Halo media. This includes primarily all video games, novels, films, and comic books. This list does not attempt to split up any media into individual scenes/pages, but rather focuses on an easy to follow reading/playing/watching list (with a few exceptions). In the event that two works cover the exact same time-frame we first list the first published work. Additionally we base the placement within the timeline on where the work ends rather than where it begins.
This list of Halo media includes:
- The Halo Games: Considered the “core” medium for the Halo franchise. These include the main series of games, as well as a few mobile games such as Spartan Assault.
- Novels/Comics: Halo has more tie-in novels and comics than any other video game franchise. I include them in the timeline.
- Films/Short Films: Though the Halo franchise has never seen a theatrical release, the series does include a few films that were released through other mediums, often online.
There are a few other pieces of media that fit in, such as the Hunt the Truth podcast, and you can find it all in chronological order below. We hope you enjoy!
Where do I start reading the Halo books?
Since this is a franchise based on video games, you should definitely start with those. We recommend the Halo: Master Chief Collection for the best starting experience. However, if you’re looking to start reading the books and/or comics, you should start with The Fall of Reach, which has the richest background information for the game franchise.
How to Use This Halo Timeline
For Halo, you have the following features:
- Titles that link to an expanded page for each item.
- Sorting by Title, Series, Media Type, Writer, and Release Date
- Filtering by Media Type or Writer.
Feel free to click on individual items to see more information! As always, if you have questions or comments about this timeline, we recommend you visit our Forum. We hope you enjoy.
The Halo Timeline 2.0