What started with a small, ambitious, B-character film in 2008’s Iron Man, has expanded to something so much larger and epic than anyone could have every imagined. This is the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline.
What’s in the Marvel Cinematic Universe Timeline?
This is our Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline. It takes all of the media in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and places it in chronological order. The default timeline lists each work in chronological order. An item is placed based on where most of it takes place. We don’t break up stories so that portions of a film take place elsewhere. This list includes media from the following elements of the MCU:
- The MCU Films: These make up the backbone of the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline. The films started with Iron Man in 2008. However, the first chronological film is Captain America: The First Avenger. Marvel Studios has since continued to release these films at an alarming rate.
- MCU Television: This timeline includes the shows from ABC that are part of the MCU. These include Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (AOS), Agent Carter, Inhumans and others.
- MCU Netflix Television: Though they may seem like a completely different universe, the Marvel Netflix shows are also part of the MCU. However, they take place in isolation compared to the rest of the Marvel Universe. These shows include Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders, and The Punisher.
- MCU Tie-in Comics: This timeline includes the tie-in comics that are canonical in the MCU timeline. Usually, these are short preludes to the main films.
- One-shots: Marvel has produced a few one-shot short films for the MCU. We include these as well.
Where to start watching the MCU films?
The core of the MCU will always be the films. Therefore, television shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. come second. Iron Man was the first film released in the MCU, but Captain America: The First Avenger takes place first chronologically. It’s actually okay to watch either first. Additionally, if you want something different than the films, we recommend watching the Netflix series, starting with Daredevil. They have little to do with the films, though they do technically take place in the same universe.
How to Use This Marvel Cinematic Universe Timeline
For the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you have the following features:
- Titles that link to an expanded page for each item.
- Sorting by Title, Series, Media Type, Writer, and Release Date
- Filtering by Media Type or Writer.
Feel free to click on individual items to see more information! As always, if you have questions or comments about this timeline, we recommend you visit our Forum. We hope you enjoy.
The MCU Timeline 2.0