What’s in the Star Wars Canon Timeline?
We only include material on this timeline if it is canon. All licensed material beginning in 2015 and moving forward will be part of this timeline. The only pre-2015 material that is currently included is the films, the Clone Wars, and Rebels, novelizations of the films/show, a few story-group approved novels, and Rebels tie-in material. This timeline includes the following:
- The Official Films: The original 6 films, and all official films released by Lucasfilm since 2015.
- Star Wars Television: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels and any non-parody animated and live-action shows since then.
- Books: Any adult and junior novels released since September of 2014, starting with A New Dawn.
- Comics: Any official canon comics since Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir.
- Short Stories: Some canon short stories included in various magazines and other outlets.
Where to Start Reading/Watching Star Wars Canon?
Getting into the canon can be daunting, particularly if you have no idea where to start. Thankfully most of the books and comics stand on their own and don’t need much Star Wars knowledge for you to understand what’s going on. If you’re a fan of the new films, we recommend starting with the Aftermath trilogy or Bloodline. Thrawn is another really good book about the origin story of a new character you won’t find in the films. Or you could simply start chronologically and work from there. This timeline basically sums up all of the canon stories and assembles them in an easy-to-follow timeline for your convenience. Enjoy.
How to Use This Star Wars Canon Timeline
For Star Wars canon, you have the following features:
- A button that will show pictures for each item. See below.
- Titles that link to an expanded page for each item.
- Sorting by Title, Series, Media Type, Writer, and Release Date
- Filtering by Media Type or Writer.
Feel free to click on individual items to see more information! We hope you enjoy.
The Star Wars Canon Timeline 2.0